The Way You CommunicateJan. 1, 2023
How much attention do you pay to the way you communicate? How closely do you consider your choices?
A few observations:
- When I choose to listen to my neighbors and seek to understand them, their behavior becomes not so strange. And my chances for cooperation grow.
- When I decide to listen first, ask questions and really understand another’s perspective before giving advice, I usually notice things that I otherwise would have missed.
- When I have a disagreement with someone, and I decide to talk to them instead of talking about them to others, I often discover that the root of our differences is not what I first thought.
- When I take the time to explain the WHY behind my thinking (to a colleague or child), the places where I live and work become incrementally more understanding.
- When I make an effort to see others, really see them, and to allow myself to be seen, I am astonished at the way it improves my relationships.
It’s a new year.
This year, if you paid as much attention to how you communicate, as you do to what you accomplish, how do you think your life would change?