Where Persuasion BeginsMay 9, 2021
Effective persuasion usually ends with some form of talking. But it doesn’t start there.
- We are most persuasive, when we first seek to understand the other.
- We are most influential, when we take the time to listen first.
- We are most likely to be understood, when we care enough to ask “what has you think what you think?”
- We are most likely to change another’s mind, when we first accept it exactly as it is.
- We are most able to reach a hostile person, when we appreciate the source of their anger.
- We are most able to connect with a frustrated person, when we acknowledge the depth of their experience.
- We are most able to inspire another, when we recognize what would have them feel alive.
Motivation, persuasion and enrollment: they end with talking but they begin with listening.
Here are a few questions that may help:
- Can you help me understand?
- What's been your experience with it?
- I’m not sure I follow. Will you show me?
- What happened?
- And then what happened?
- What do you think about that?
- What’s your perspective?